Launched as an idea in 2015 and now a reality in 2017, this blog is for people that love photography, have full-time jobs but still want to turn that passion for photography (or anything else for that matter) into a side hustle. If that sounds like you, then we already have a lot in common and I’m more than pleased to have you here.
If not, then don’t worry as there is also something for you here as well. You will get to see lots of cool photography and read some interesting stories about those photographs via the blog. You’ll also get my take on different photography and post-processing techniques I am using as well as new techniques I am experimenting with.
I have no real professional training either in blogging or taking photos, but I’ve always been told I would make a great voice actor.
3 Quick Facts About Me
For as long as I can remember, I have had 3 ambitions in life and I would always pretty much answer the question “What do you want to be when you grow up?” with the following 3 answers.
- Become a computer game developer
- Become a national geographic photographer
- Become a chef
Safe to say that I am neither of these things, but that is OK because I’ve found a way to still enjoy all of these ambitions in some form or another.
- I am not a computer games developer but I am a full-time tech entrepreneur with some fantastic people at Apposit and we’ve been doing some really cool things here in Ethiopia as well as in other African countries.
- While I’m not a national geographic photographer (yet – the dream is still alive to one day be published in this awesome magazine) I still have found a way to enjoy this aspect of my life and take pictures that make me feel good.
- Aside from taking photographs, almost everyone that knows me would tell you that I love to cook; and that I am pretty damn good at it. I just couldn’t take the pressure of a commercial kitchen as it goes against my rather laid back attitude.
How did I start in photography then?
I fell in love with photography very young. Growing up my mom was the photographer in the household and the majority of her pictures were on slides. Every now and then we’d all get together with the slide projector and check out all the amazing pictures she’d taken. As a result of that, I was hooked. I got my first point and shoot camera very young, and every now and then I’d be allowed to use my mom’s old school Pentax. Soon, we had a darkroom setup and I began to develop black and white film at home.
And that is how it all started. I’ve owned a camera ever since then and never really stopped. This photography site and blog is actually the next step in realizing some of the ambitions that I have grown to have as an adult; earning a little bit of money from my pictures and teaching what I can about what I love to do.
Now something for me from you
Yes, it might sound egocentric but I mean it in the best way possible. I want to learn!
The best way for me to learn is to challenge myself and find new ways to stretch my comfort zones. It’s in those moments that you can learn the most about yourself as a person and what you are capable of.
So this isn’t a trek through some remote jungle where fire ants chase you and the chance of falling down a ravine is always there. It is a challenge of a different nature. It is a challenge in being open to criticism and in sharing that experience.
So don’t hold back. Join in the conversation and let me know if I am doing what I promised. In fact, I want to invite you to join my email list community. It’s free and there is no charge whatsoever for personal delivery to your inbox.
Or connect with me via some of my social media accounts.facebook twitter instagram